Wednesday 6 February 2013

SuperBowl or SuperBlow?!


Last weekend took place one of the most expected sport events of the year: The SuperBowl in America. Although I can´t say that I am a great fan of the American football and especially having in mind that I don´t really understand the game I found myself watching it for the one and only reason: the curiosity to see the famous halftime show. The show has been transformed during the past years as one of the most interesting and spectacular music and performance events that attracts all major stars to its stage. For this reason there cannot be any doubt that this year´s performer had to be some one big and who bigger than Beyonce. But was she the best choice and was it what everyone expected it to be?!?!


Before getting to my point of view on the performance of Beyonce let me take you to my top 10 performances that took place during the last 10 years. (Going from best to worst)


(This ranking is personal and has nothing to do with other opinions or official quotations.)

Going fast over the last 10 years can be said that there had been pretty bad performances especially the one of the Black Eyed Peace and it has to be mentioned that I have ranked the performances according to the whole performance and not just to some aspects of it.

Going back to the Beyonce performance I can say that I was quite disappointed and I would have expected something better from a star as her. First of all one of the things that made me most impression was that she rushed over a lot of songs in a little time. Good idea to put all your best songs in 13 minutes?! Don´t think so! It transmitted the feeling that she is in a hurry and not really feeling comfortable to be there and perform. In addition to this her face wasn´t making things better. Her impression and her face were making me feel uncomfortable and stressed. I would have expected her to smile more and to somehow be more shining if I can say so.  Same thing for the Destiny’s Child when they united onto the stage! The atmosphere of anger and fury could be seen all over their faces as well as frustration and lack of excitement to be there.

However her performance was interesting and it was highly entertaining but a question that I cannot stop asking is was she the right choice for such manly sport? Beyonce is known for her only women performances where you wouldn´t see any male dancers or players on the stage around her! And having in mind that American football is male sport then was she the right choice?! Was this the best message that the organisers could transmit with only women performers on stage and high male viewers from all around the world?

Just to conclude I want to say that Madonna´s performance is in first place not because she is a singer that I like. Not at all! She is a professional that knows how to make each performance matter even if it is just for 13 minutes! I would have expected the same or even better thing from Beyonce and getting the American culture spread even widerly in this minutes she had on stage when the world was watching her!

If you still haven´t been able to watch it do it now! 

Anita Neycheva

1 comment: